Monday, August 8, 2011

Hospitalized

7-7-11 Elizabeth was born
7-9-11 We went home from the hospital
7-11-11 I started having hot and cold spells and was freezing watching the bachelorette and covered up in 5 blankets and had heating pads on me- fell asleep and woke up burning hot and the thermometer said 105- I knew that couldn't be right...
7-13-11 After 2 days of these hot and cold extremes I was walking around outside in the 107 degree heat shivering because I was so cold- something was really wrong- I took a nap and woke up with 106 fever and Bryan took me to the ER

You should know a few things about me and why I was VERY hesitant to go back to the hospital:

-I am kind of a naturalist- I get it from my mom- I don't like taking medicine unless ABSOLUTELY necessary and I hate needles and especially IVs and the only time I have ever been in the hospital is to have my 3 children.

-A few days before I had Elizabeth I was having alot of lower back pain but I just thought it was because I was huge prego but after I had her the back pain continued and I was also having headaches so they sent me home with pain medicine which of course had Tylenol in it which I was taking every 6 hours because I was in pain- unless I fell asleep and that is when my fever would sky rocket- but I didn't understand why I would only have fever for a few hours a day.

-I had just delivered a baby!! I wanted to breastfeed her and I didn't want to be away from her and I didn't want to dump all of my kids on my parents- but they were wonderful and jumped right into taking care of a newborn plus Kenz and Alex and our new kitten!!

Despite all of these reasons and my stubbornness I knew that something was wrong and that I needed medical help- I was scared to death. We got into the ER pretty fast and the testing began- at first they said it was a kidney infection but when my blood culture came back the infection was also in my blood- so they admitted me- the words I was dreading so much- and began IV antibiotics every 6 hours- the hot and cold things got worse for a day or 2. I would be so cold that my body was convulsing uncontrollably with shivering it was so so terrible and I could feel it coming on and there was nothing I could do but wait it out- this is when my fever was rising and the nurses couldn't give me any Tylenol until it got to 101 and then my fever would break and I would sweat and sweat- it was a terribly miserable cycle and happened over and over again.
Slowly things began to improve- I got to be unplugged from my IV stand which was huge and I got to take a shower and I got the OK to pump and save my milk for baby. I got to see my kids :) I missed them so much and in the moment I felt like I was never going to get to go home- I had to be fever free for 48 hours and every time I felt a cold spell coming on I would cry knowing that the countdown would have to start all over. Bryan staying by my side the whole time- bless his heart- he hates hospitals but he would sit with me all day and then go home and see the kids for a minute and get anything I needed from the house and maybe take a shower and then come back to our little room and sleep on his cot. I was so so grateful to have him there and he took really good care or me.

This was my view for 6 days.

7-18-11 We got to come home- it has never felt so good to get in our car and drive to our house. Mom still helped me with the older kids for a week or so- I am SO very thankful we live in the same city and that she can help me when things get crazy!! Elizabeth has been such a trooper and has gone from breastfeeding to bottles with formula to bottles with breast milk and back to breastfeeding like a champ! I am so thankful to God for my laid back baby girl!! Today, 3 weeks later I am still not quite 100%- having a baby and then a kidney/blood infection really took my strength but I feel more like myself everyday and am so grateful to be home with my children again and I hope that I never have to be hospitalized again!!!
sigc

2 comments:

Michelle said...

oh jana! i had no idea it was that bad! so glad you're home and feeling better and with your family now!

Ashley said...

Jan! So sorry your start with your sweet new girl was so rocky for you! I'm so glad to hear that you are on the mend & pray you are feeling yourself soon! Enjoy those sweet baby kisses & snuggles!